Thursday, November 25, 2010

I got mentioned...

...on the Creative Swaps blog. Lenna is hosting (hostessing?) a mail art swap and I joined in. Today she blogged about my envelopes. How fun to see them someplace other than my own studio. She stuck an extra 'n' in my last name, but I'll forgive her for the glory of getting my own post on her blog!

The second envelope she shows was the first one I made when I wasn't real sure if I could make a decorated envelope or not, so I was doing a test drive. It's a file folder, and I paged thru magazines looking for colors and images that grabbed me, then did the front and the back at the same time, going back and forth using bits of all the images on both sides. It's a little 'modern' for me, I guess. I prefer more traditional or vintage looks, but it was fun. Hopefully, whoever gets it will enjoy it.

The other were more the vintage look, using actual old pages from books and copies of vintage images. I quite enjoyed making them and can't wait to see what I get back. I have no idea how Lenna will choose who gets what, but I'm sure it'll be a great mix of styles. I'll be thrilled with pretty much any of the ones she's shown.

These are both about 5x7" and made using old file folders cut to size, decorated, then sewn up the sides and across the top. My sewing machine wasn't thrilled about sewing thru several layers of paper, but then it seemed to get a clue. I included some copies of vintage Christmas postcards in my envelopes. The cards had been mailed to my maternal grandmother in the years 1909 and 1910 when she was around 17 years old.

I am a student in the GreenPaper class she mentions, and have learned a lot. It's also really instructive for me to see the work of the other students using the same lesson and some of the same materials as me. The different things each of us creates is always neat to see.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Leslie, i am so happy to find your blog! I found it really because you left a comment on my creative lenna blog with a question . . . The answer is "summer" on that skinny page is an alphabet set of clear rubber stamps . I chose the letters to spell out 'summer' and placed them on an acrylic bock, then stamped them all together : ))

    So sorry I had your name misspelled on the swaps blog! I have now fixed that. As soon as I saw "one woman's hands" here I recognized that YES, you were a student with me in Mary's classes. I am very happy you joined my mail art swap, love your envelopes! I swap them out based on what your work is like, which gives me the idea what you might like to have in return, what you might appreciate. : ))

    This is way too long a comment, but I did not have your email!! : ) lenna

    ReplyDelete