Saturday, December 31, 2011

another one bites the dust

Goodbye 2011. I'll miss how easy you were to write - just two quick little lines. 2012 will take a bit of getting used to.

I'll remember that you were the year I discovered art journaling. I'm only sorry it took me so long to learn about it. I'm still finding my artistic style, buying too many art supplies, and wasting paper on learning techniques, but I've also taken some fun classes, learned a hell of a lot, and connected with some great women.

You were the year I tried and failed at painting anything realistic looking. I just don't have the eye for it. The instructor would come up and look at my painting and say things like, "Well, let's see how we can fix this up." Then he'd take my brush and proceed to do exactly that - fix it. The two paintings I liked from that class were ones he mostly painted for me. I threw them away the last time I cleaned up my art room. There are plenty of things I'm good at and I can totally accept that I'll never be a painter.

You were the year my arthritisy hands took a turn for the worse. I wonder how long I'll have the use of them and I wonder what I'll do when it hurts too much to do much of anything.

You were the year of the lovely autumn. The trees changed lovely colors this year and seemed to stay on the trees forever. Each day walking the dog or driving to work, I'd notice them and think how pretty they were. Thank you for that. Autumn makes me think of my mom, so it was a nice autumn.

You were the year we decided to change our housing situation. We'll be in a different house by the end of March. I'll miss some things about this one, but I never really settled in and decorated and I don't really know why since we were here 5 years. I think the next one will be our home for a long time, considering our employment situation, so I'm going to really live in it. Plus, I get the entire front room for my art studio. YES! <fist pump>

Tomorrow we're having black-eyed pea dip for good luck, then salmon with rice and roasted Brussels sprouts, with lots of See's candy and home made cookies for dessert. Mmm-mm-mm. And I haven't gained a single pound this holiday season, despite having cookies with every meal of the day for a solid month.

To all 3 of you who read my blog - thank you. It's great to read your comments. I hope you have a safe New Year's Eve, and I wish you a healthy, happy, and prosperous New Year. Remember, everything rolls over tonite. All possibilities are back in play. Tomorrow is a new day.

This marvelous old postcard was mailed to my maternal grandmother Theresa. It's postmarked Dec 31, 8pm, 1910. That's almost exactly right now, 101 years ago. Isn't that amazing?

2 comments:

  1. Logging in as one of the three. LOL

    Happy New Year!

    To much creativity and experimentation in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great year...since I met you. I know, I'm gushy, but when you're my age you can be as gushy as you want.LOL

    ReplyDelete