Sunday, April 14, 2013

lovin art

***ACK! I see now that I DID post this. They say the memory is the first thing to go... Well, read on anyway, I talk about my Mom a bit.***

A journal page from a couple weeks ago that I forgot to post. There's that turquoise again, used in a stencil Rhonda brought with her on Easter Sunday. I was just reflecting that I've almost always had some sort of artistic thing going on in my life. Macrame, sewing, crochet, knitting, spinning, weaving, quilting, crazy quilting, dyeing. And now all this paper fun.

I can thank my mother for starting the art fire within me. She was a painter of some skill and I have many of her works around the house, including the somewhat odd painting of cats and sunflowers that I have hanging by my front door. Unfortunately it isn't signed or dated (unlike her) but I know it was done when she was in her 20s, so sometime in the 1940s. (there's that turq and orange again... it's EVERYWHERE!)

It's about 10x14, done on a canvas board. Our house always smelled of oil paint and linseed oil and turpentine cause she usually had a painting or two going. In her later years, she worked on commission in the little Ohio town she lived in, doing portraits of people's houses and pets and kids.

Thanks, Mom.


No comments:

Post a Comment